Saturday, April 27, 2013

Background: Part I

I hated running when I was a kid.  I hated gym and I hated exercise.  I was always one of the last kids to finish when we ran the mile, which really meant we ran around the field four times.  My gym teacher sent out some of the boys who had already finished and made them chant, "Let's go Kelly-Rae, let's go!"  It was supposed to be encouraging, but was super embarrassing.

I have always felt like the awkward person in the corner when I'm exercising with people.  I'm not flexible and I'm not very strong.

Throughout elementary, junior high, high school, and most of college, I never once enjoyed rigorous activities.  Mostly because I felt like everyone was looking at me and judging me.  I also felt uncomfortable in my workout clothes because they were the long gym shorts from high school.  They stuck in places where shorts should not stick.

Pinterest actually got me motivated to begin exercising.  I found all these great motivational sayings and some quick exercises.  It was small stuff at first, but when I discovered POPilates, I really got into it.  Cassey Ho is a life saver.  She inspired and encouraged me to keep going.  I loved her workout videos because she was so upbeat and she looked like she was having fun.  I never thought anyone could have fun while working out.

So it began.  My on and off romance with getting healthy.  I didn't know it would ever be such a struggle.  I hope this will be my last struggle and I hope this blog will keep me accountable for the times I skip.  I also hope I won't skip.  I hope the newness of this blog and the excited feeling I get from wanting to post in the morning will not wear away.

It's not that I want to tell the world about my habits and my downfalls.  There are too many blogs like that.  This is for me.  If I happen to help others along the way, then that's great.  If I'm the only one who looks at these posts, that's great too.  This blog isn't to inspire anyone but me.  I'm not expecting to have millions of followers, though it would be nice.  I'm not expecting to be famous.  My only expectation is to keep pushing forward.

I don't run on Saturdays and Sundays -- they're my rest days.  But, I figured I would post a little about my background before I got started.  Tomorrow I'll probably have more to say.

Here we go.

Kelly-Rae

2 comments:

  1. The only reason I "liked" gym in high school was because of our group. And massage circles. Haha.

    ReplyDelete